Map and Geographic Information Collections in Transition
a conference organized by the
Cartographic User Advisory Council,
Mumford Room, Library of Congress
May 12-13, 2005
CLICK HERE to read the Abstract for the Presentations
8:30 – 9:15 AM Registration & Assembly
9:15 – 10:00 AM Opening Remarks & Recognition of Sponsors
· Linda Zellmer, Co-Chair, Cartographic Users Advisory Council
· Dr. John Hebert, Head, Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
· Robert Dizard, Library of Congress, Deputy Associate Librarian for Library Services
10:00 – 10:30 AM Break
10:30 – 12:00 PM Future of the Paper Map
Moderator: Linda Zellmer, Head, Geology
· Russell Guy, Omni Resources, Commercial View on Future of the Paper Map.
· David C. McQuillan, Map Librarian, Thomas Cooper Library, University of South Carolina, Role of the Paper Map in Libraries.
12:00 – 1:30 PM Box Lunch and Break-Out Sessions.
· Increasing Awareness of Map and Spatial Data Collections
· Needs of Spatial Information Collections
· Future Role of Map Library Organizations
· Offering GIS Services in Libraries
1:30 –3:00 PM Developing Digital Cartographic Collections
Moderator: David Deckelbaum, Librarian for Cartographic Resources, Geography & Urban Planning, UCLA.
Lily Wai and Bruce Godfrey,
· T. Wangyal Shawa, Princeton University, Collection Development Policies for Maps and Geospatial Information.
· Julie Sweetkind-Singer, Stanford University, Cooperative Collection Development and Scanning of Cartographic Materials.
3:00-3:30 PM Break
supported by Columbia Gazetteer of the World – Online from
3:30 – 5:00 PM Distribution and Archiving Digital Spatial Information
Moderator: John Olson.
· Robert Chadduck, Director, Electronic Records Archives Research Program, National Archives & Records Administration, Data Archiving at the National Archives.
· Judy Russell, Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Government Printing Office Policies and Plans for Spatial Information Distribution.
8:30 – 9:00 AM Networking & Assembly with Breakfast sponsored by ESRI
9:30 AM Call to Order by
Users Advisory Council,
9:30 – 11:30 AM Future of Cartographic Information Collections
Moderator: T. Wangyal
Geographic Information Systems Librarian,
· Clint Brown, ESRI, Inc., The Role of GIS in Libraries for Geographic Information Management.
· Michael Goodchild, University of California-Santa Barbara, Future Directions for Geolibraries.
· Break 10:00 – 10:30 AM
· Allan Carroll, National Geographic Society, National Geographic: From Paper to Digital to Distributed Mapping.
11:30 – 1:00 PM Lunch
1:00 – 2:15 PM Reports from Breakout Sessions
2:15 – 2:45 PM Break
2:45 – 4:30 PM Data Copyright, Licensing and Access Issues
Moderator: Joanne Perry,
Head, Maps Library and Cartographic Services, The
· Harlan Onsrud, University of Maine at Orono & Chair, National Research Council Study on the Licensing of Spatial Data and Services, Licensing Geographic Data and Services: Vision for a National Commons and Marketplace.
· Julia Giller, USGS Technology Transfer Office, Cooperative Research & Development Agreements.
4:30 – 5:00 PM Wrap - Up